Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Oscar Nomination Predictions

Yours truly has came up with my predictions for this years Oscar Nominations which will be announced January 25th. So here they are, let's see how I do... Each category will have five nominations, So I will give my five predictions with a long shot guess as well.

BEST MOVIE PREDICTIONS:
Period films normally do well, and when they include a biopic, it's even better. Two of my predictions are Biopics. The first one which will be a shoo-in is The Aviator, starring Leonardo DeCaprio. This film is getting a lot of hype and has some big name stars, starring as big name stars. My favorite is of course Gwen Stefani who portrays Jean Harlow.
the other biopic that will most definitely get a nod is RAY, starring Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles. This film has received great reviews and with Ray's death, this is the right time for the Academy to honor not only the film, but Ray himself. Again, today's big names starring as yesterday's big names.
The next prediction I am really hoping happens, and from the buzz in Hollywood it seems as though this will be the case. I still have not seen the movie yet, but as mentioned on my blog before, a friend of mine has a part in the movie. SIDEWAYS is getting a lot of attention, and the smaller studio pictures seem to do well with the Academy, so this one's for you Missy. Hope to see you there on Oscar Night!
MILLION DOLLAR BABY is really making the news, and with the likes of Clint Eastwood, Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman, this will definitley get the Oscar nod. For my last prediction I think that being Peter Pan, or the author of peter Pan is always a good sale in Hollywood, so FINDING NEVERLAND will be on the list. As for my long shot guess, i would have to go with the Sexiest Man of the year and say CLOSER.
This leads us to the acting nominations

BEST ACTOR NOMINATIONS
I will forego my commentary and just list my guesses, but it goes without saying that most of these predictions are from movies listed above.
Johnny Depp in Finding Neverland
Leonardo DeCaprio in Aviator
Paul Giamatti in Sideways
Jamie Foxx in Ray
Clint Eastwood in Million Dollar Baby
Longshot... Javier Bardem in The Sea Inside

BEST ACTRESS PREDICTIONS: This year I see two great actresses bidding for the top honor as they did a few years ago. I wonder if it will turn out the same way.
Annette Benning for Being Julia
Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby
Imelda Stauton for Vera Drake
Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine
Catalina Sandino Moreno for Maria Full of Grace
Longshot... Kerry Washington for Ray

As for the supporting nominations here they are, get ready...Thomas Haden Church in Sideways, Clive Owen for Closer, John Lithgow for Kinsey, Morgan Freeman for Million Dollar Baby, and Peter Saragaard in Garden State and if he doesn't get nominated for his work in Ray, Jamie Foxx will at least get nominated for his work in Collateral. Of course Virginia Madsen, making her comeback in Sideways, My fav, Laura Linney in Kinsey, Cate Blanchett as Katherine Hepburn in the Aviator, Gwen Stefani as Jean Harlow in the Aviator and Natalie Portman in Closer and what list would not be complete without the regualr yearly standby for my longshot, Meryl Streep.

So there you have it, check back on the 26th and see how bad I did.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...