Monday, January 24, 2005

Heeere'ssss Johnny!

I remember fondly the first time I heard those words. It was 1969 and I was 9 years old and my mom let me stay up late to watch the Tonight Show, for the first time! He had on the Osmonds and I just HAD to watch them. So mom allowed me to stay up late and watch Johnny Carson and the Tonight Show. Well up until the Osmonds act was over and then off to bed I went. I watched again later that same year when Tiny Tim wed Miss Vicki on the show.

Now Johnny is gone.

He's been gone actually since his retirement some 13 years ago. I watched that show to. Bette Midler was his final guest. Since then it was like he dissapeared. He stayed out of the limelight and from all accounts enjoyed his retirement.
But now Johnny is really gone. Due to emphysema.

I wonder just how many stars he catapulted to fame? I mean if you got asked to be on the Tonight Show that was a launching pad. Look what it done for Jay Leno! Over the years I became a big fan of Johnny and the Tonight Show. I hardly ever missed it. I haven't but maybe watched it twice since Jay began hosting. Sorry but he is just not the same. I now prefer Letterman.

His diolouge was yes, corny but hilarious. His skits even cornier (is that a word?) But the man was class. He was Style. He was entertainment for the masses. He had the greatest guest stars. When no one else could get them on, all he did was ask, and they sat on his couch. From BB King to U2. From Steve Lawerence to Steve Martin. Even Tammy Faye Bakker! It was so much fun to watch him laugh with the stars as well as the "common folk" he would have on the show. Late Night TV hasn't been the same. And now it never will be.

We thank you Johnny.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...