Sunday, January 09, 2005

Honesty, Always the Best Policy

I think God was testing me yesterday. I had several chances to lie, cheat and steal and yet I chose not to. let me explain...

First at work yesterday I was allowed to leave at 2:00 due to a birthday party scheduled at 3:00 for the owner's husband (DJ's grandfather) Now I get paid on salary, not hourly and by 12:00 noon I had only three customers all day and only three phone calls, one of which was the owner and the second from DJ. So I decided to leave at 1:00 instead of 2:00. I mean what's an hour right? Plus I had that damn patch on my eye and it was really hard to work and play on the internet. Well I started feeling guilty so instead I stayed until the allotted time and left at 2:00. By leaving at one I would have cheated my employer out of an hours wage. Not that it mattered I suppose as all I did most of the day was play on the internet anyway.

Then later in the evening DJ's mother invited us to go out to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner with them. I love BWW, it's one of my favs. We had 2 $5.00 gift certificates from a prior visit that was not too pleasant and the manager complimented us with those gift certificates. We had also received a $50 gift card for BWW from DJ's grandmother that we still had $3.95 left to use, with the $20 we had in our pockets we felt assured that $33.95 would be sufficent. We ate and drank and then paid our bill with the $20.00 bill and all the certificates. The waiter returned and told us that our gift card and certificates were sufficent for our bill and returned our $20 bill. Now our bill was $28.45, the certificates only added up to $13.95. He then told us that we still had $1.95 on the gift card. How could this be? But oh well, free meal. Again guilt set in. We left the waiter the rest in a tip. He was good. And cute too.

Then we invited DJ's sister and a couple of her friends to our place to help finish up all the liquor from New Year's Eve (that's really sad...left over liquor) On the way we decided to stop by our favorite store (Target) and buy that new DVD game called "Scene It" to play with our guests for the evening. So we ran to the ATM at Target and I tried to put our card in. It would not go, but the screen asked..."Would you like another transaction?" I was like huh? I didn't even put my card in. I then realized that someone must have left their ATM in the machine and did not cancel their last action. Meaning if I hit the NO on the screen I could have withdrawn money from the card that was in the machine, saved us quite a few bucks and even been able to buy a new pair of jeans or something. I mean they were the dumbass to leave their ATM card still in the machine right? But, no I didn't. I hit the button to complete the prior asshole's transaction, found a piece of paper and pen and wrote a note to the bank with the card telling them that the user left the card in the machine and placed the card with the note on the bank counter next to the ATM. Went back to the ATM and used my own card and withdrew my own hard earned cash.

Then today my eldest son J1 called and said he was coming over to repay the $150 loan that I gave him at Christmas. I was like, "Son, that wasn't a loan that was your christmas gift. You don't have to repay me." Again, I know honest. I could have used that $150.

So I feel better for being honest, but now I want my damn reward. Come on, something good should come of my honesty don't you think? What goes around comes around, right?

I'm still waiting.
Hello God. Honest man here awaiting his reward.

Yep, still waiting.
Okay, never mind. Just keep track okay God? That's three for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got my vote Cuz...
G.

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...