Friday, March 11, 2005

Hey Mom, Remember Me?

I had always prided myself (notice I use the past tense of the verb, I did it on purpose, not a grammatical error, well maybe just a little) on being the perfect son. That of course was before I left my wife and four kids, came out of the closet and told them I was gay and had fallen in love with a younger man. Yet, my mother and I always seemed to be on the same plane. We were soul mates. We shared everything. Well almost. I always felt that I was her favorite son. Even though I know she loves the three of us equally. But after this week I have finally faced reality. I am just one of her three sons, al be it the firstborn, but still just one of her sons. Here is the story...

Mom calls on Monday evening, at 9:30. That in itself is scary because she normally goes to bed at 8pm. Not that she is old or anything, she has to get up to go to work at 5:00 am. So when the phone rang and caller ID said Mommy I was a little concerned

Mom: Hi, Michael? (yes she confuses my voice with DJ's, she can't tell her own son's voice from his lover. That should have been my first clue.)
Fav. Son: Mom? What's wrong? Someone die?
Mom: No! Why do you say that?
Fav Son: Well normally you are in bed by now, and if you call this late something must be wrong.
Mom: No, I just thought I'd call and let you know about Dad.
Fav Son: Dad? What's wrong with Dad?
Mom: About his surgery, everything came out ok.
Not So Fav Son: SURGERY??!! What Surgery?
Mom: You know I told you about it...didn't I?
NSFS: Uh...no, what surgery, is everything ok?
Mom: I thought I told you are you sure I didn't tell you. I really think I did.
NSFS: No Mom, what surgery!!!
Mom: Oh that mole he had on his ear lobe. The doctor did a biopsy on it last week and it was cancerous, so they removed it.
NSFS: THEY REMOVED HIS EAR LOBE!!???
Mom: No, Michael , the mole, they removed it. Are you sure I didn't tell you?
NSFS: No, mom you didn't tell me. So he is okay though?
Mom: Yeah he is fine, a little sore, but it wasn't deep so it was all taken care of. So are you coming Saturday?
NSFS: Saturday? What about Saturday?
Mom: Don't tell me I didn't tell you about Saturday.
NSFS: NO MOM, What is Saturday?
Mom: Michael I told you about Saturday.
NSFS: WHAT ABOUT SATURDAY!?
Mom; Well I'm sure I told you. It's your aunt and uncle's 50th Wedding anniversary party at the American Legion Hall. So you are coming right?
NSFS: Well I would have, if someone would have told me about it.
Mom: Michael I told you.
NSFS: No Mom, you didn't tell me.
Mom: Well I'm sure I did, but you're coming right?
NSFS: Well no, I have to work until 4 Saturday, what time is it?
Mom: You have to work? You can't get off? It's at 1:00. Are you sure I didn't tell you?
NSFS: No, Mom, again, you didn't tell me. And no I can not get off now, it's too late to get someone in to work for me.
Mom: Well try and come, it should still be going on by the time you get off work.
NSFS: Probably not mom,it's an hour away from me. I get off at 4 and by the time I get there it will be after 5.
Mom: Yeah your right. Well I'll tell them you send their love.

Yeah thanks mom, tell them that for me, that is if you don't forget.

My favorite aunt and uncle and I can not be there to celebrate this milestone in their lives, because I wasn't told about it in time. I know she didn't not tell me on purpose. My mother is becoming more and more forgetful as the days continue, but it still hurts. Makes me feel like I'm a red-headed step child or something. Not that she means to.
I mean I know that I am her favorite.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...