Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Happy Anniversary

Happy Anniversary To Us!
Four years today, on March 23, 2001, DJ and I united together in a commitment ceremony. (I don't like that picture of me, but it's the only one that looked good enough to put on the blog. I have no goatee there, and I look REALLY old.)

We met a few months earlier of all places, a bar. Go figure. Gay guys meeting in a bar, who'd thunk it? Right away we clicked. Call it fate, karma, kizmet, whatever. It was the right person at the right time, in both of our lives. We were living together less than a month after our first meeting. At the time I thought he was much older and he thought I was much younger. But it didn't matter to us when we found out that there was 20 years between us. Everyone said it would not last because of our age difference. "What do you have in common?" Everyone asked. At the time the only thing we had in common was our love for one another, but four years later we are very much alike.

How you ask?
Well before DJ I had never watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer. We now own every season on DVD and I have seen every episode at least twice. Not counting Angel, Charmed and a whole host of other Fantasy/Sci-Fi DVD's. Most of the movies I watched were drama...you know girlie movies. Thanks to DJ we now have a very eclectic selection of movies that includes Sci-Fi and Horror (his favorites) as well as my girlie movies.

We also share a love of cats. We now have three of our own and we adore them. I was always a dog person, as was he, but it seems that the feline variety of pets suits us more.

I was never one big on camping. You know bugs, sleeping in a tent, bugs, and all those other things that could crawl in your tent at night while you are asleep. Now, we enjoy camping. The seclusion and nature. (Plus sex in a tent is awesome!)

DJ was always the grounded one. Stable. Reliable. He still is, and because of that, I too have become more stable and reliable. He manages the finances, so I can say that.

There is so much more that we share and have in common. We've grown together in ways I never thought possible.

Not that we haven't had our problems. We have. Mostly due to my fits of jealously, which after four years I realize was unfounded and a useless emotion. But we have had some tough times. Me loosing my job a few years ago at a law firm and being the main income earner was devastating, but he never gave up on me. He stood with me and supported my dreams of becoming a writer. Even though it made me no $$.

Some of my friends say they never thought this could have happened to me. Settle down with one guy. But I can not imagine my life any other way.
Age is not an issue.
Jealousy is not an issue.
Pride is not an issue.
Money is not an issue.
What we have is mutual respect and admiration. Unconditional Love.

It's out there guys. I found him, and he found me.

So, Happy Anniversary DJ. I love you More.
(see all those girlie dramatic movies do pay off!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...