Saturday, April 08, 2006

Storms


As I posted yesterday, I've had the last few days off. And guess what? I'm sick. Figures right? I mean I get days off of work and I get sick and don't feel like doing anything.

I went yesterday afternoon to pick up my two youngest boys. I left about 3:00p.m. and at the time it was sun shining, and about 80 degrees outside. They live about 35 minutes north of me and as I was traveling the road I could see dark clouds in the direction to where I was headed. By the time I arrived at their house it had already rained there and the temperature had dropped about 7 degrees. As we were traveling back to my place the clouds began to loom even darker and the temperature kept decreasing. I get a call on my cell phone from DJ.

"Be careful, we just were put on a tornado warning, there is hail coming down and a funnel cloud was sighted near our house!"

I changed stations on the radio and it confirmed what DJ had just said, and the clouds were darker than ever, and suddenly I was in rain, and the temperature had dropped to 69 degrees, when just 30 minutes earlier in the same location it was 80. Within a few minutes I was not able to see to drive, and was sitting at a red light in a hail storm. We were able to make our way to the store, and when we came out of the store about 20 minutes later, the rain and clouds were gone, and the sun had returned. However it was now only 59 degrees.

Funny how storms come up so quickly and change the course of the day and even your mood. When I left yesterday I felt great and my mood was up, by the time I got back home I was tired and agitated.

Same thing happens in life, you know? Everything seems sunny and warm and in an instant a storm can pass through your life and everything is changed. Sometimes in an instant. Loss of a job, loss of a relationship, sickness and tragedy. Sometimes it is not even anything as drastic as those things, but a small storm in your life can change the course of your life forever. Just be careful and realize that it can not be sunny and warm all the time, and be ready when the storm hits. Take cover, as it too will soon pass.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...