Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Sick & Tired


Welcome to March. It happens almost every year. And 2006 is no exception.

I am running a fever, have aches and chills, a stuffed up nose and night sweats that awaken me. It hurts to move my head and even urinate.

I know you really wanted to know all that.

But I got the bug.

DJ was sick most of last week with it, so it was inevitable that I would come down with it. But anyway onto what I really want to post about.

What is up with some of the gay bloggers out there? I am talking about the whole Oscar thing. Now don't get me wrong, I loved BBM. It was one of the best movies I have seen in quite sometime. I was also disappointed in it's losing the Best Picture Oscar Sunday night. Extremely, just ask DJ. But to go on a crusade of hate and vendetta as I have been reading against the Academy. How can we, the gay community, who fight for equality make some of the arguments I've heard from fellow bloggers about the Academy's choice of the movie Crash. Crash was an important movie as well. It's relevance is just as important. It's voice needs to be heard just as much as the gay community does. Yes, we have come a long way in racial relations, but we have a hell of a way yet to go.

They are movies. They tell a story. They bring conscience to things that others try to hide or do not want to admit. BBM told a story. Millions of people were made aware of what love between two men can be. Crash told a story. Millions of people were made aware of how bigotry, racism and intolerance are still very much alive. I say hats off to the Academy for recognizing the stories, both of them. Yes I know the Acaemdy didn't follow the "tradition" and some are even saying that some of the members of the Academy worked diligently to make sure BBM didn't get the award. If that is the case, then shame on them. Would there be as much fanfare about this if Jack Twist's name was Julie? Or what if Capote won the award?

I suppose I am just tired. But what does two movies, winning awards really have to do with what is right and wrong in this country regarding issues of intolerance, bigotry, homophobia, racism and equality?

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...