Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Brokeback Bandwagon


I am getting really perturbed about the fanfare that Brokeback Mountain is getting now that they have been nominated for 8 Oscars. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled, but all the media is speculating that the only reason they have gotten all the accolades is the fact that this is a "GAY" Movie...That really just pisses me off. On the local radio station I listen this morning they were going on and on about the only reason this movie was honored was due to the homosexual content. That's just bullshit. What about the direction of Ang Lee, a superb director and the actors, can they not get the attention due to the fact of their performances instead of because it's a gay movie?? Give credit where credit is due, not speculate that it's because of the storyline of the film.

This is not the first time a "gay" movie has been in the movie theaters. What about the Oscar winning X-rated film, Midnight Cowboy which starred Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman and was directed by a "known" homosexual. Or what about Dustin Hoffman, again in Tootsie, where he played a cross dresser.

Get off the fact that this movie is getting attention because it has a gay storyline and face the fact that it's a good movie, acted by superb actors, directed by an outstanding director. If anyone would read the book and go see the movie it's not about GAY people. It's about PEOPLE, and about the love that they have for one another and how that love changed their lives.

Honestly, I don't think that Brokeback Mountain is going to walk away with the statuette, I believe it will go to Good Night, Good Luck. But if I were a betting man I'd put my money on Ang Lee as Best Director. We will see. And no this is not my final prediction...

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...