Monday, July 11, 2005

A First

I didn't think at 45 I would experience a first. But today I experienced something I have never had before.

Burying a dead animal.

I know not the best experience, but it had to be done. As some of you may know (if you'd read my blog) my employer is a cat lover. We have five in the office and several outside. When I arrived at work today I found this note...

Michael, Poppy died last night, she is in the garage. Could you bury here today?

What could I say? If I didn't I am sure by the end of the day the odor from the garage would have fermented the entire office as it sits just outside the side door. Not to mention other disgusting....Well you get the idea. So I found a shovel and began digging. How far I asked myself? A human burial plot is six foot. If I dig a hole six foot, someone will probably have to bury me. So what about 2 or 3? I opted for 2.5 feet. I even used a yardstick to make sure. Then what to bury it in? A box? A bag? Nothing? I found a nice green hefty bag and kind of scooted her dead, stiff lifeless body into it without having to touch her. (wearing gloves of course) I then proceeded to carry the bag to my measured burial plot and put her to rest. So should I say something? A prayer? Nice words? I didn't have to worry about that, as I finished one of the other cats came by to see what I was doing, sat there and meowed. Eulogy given.

I don't remember funeral director / grave digger on my job description.
I think I deserve a raise. How about just a bonus.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...