Friday, October 29, 2004

MAN OF THE WEEK


MAN OF THE WEEK

This weeks Man of the week is 31 year old General Manager of the World Series Champions, Theo Epstein. I am not a great fan of baseball, but the amazing rise of this young man caught my attention. Not to mention he is a cutie as well! Not only has Boston broken the curse, Mr. Epstein has made baseball history as well. As General Managers go, I'd say he has made his mark. Maybe the Cincinnati Reds front office can learn something...

Theo N. Epstein (born December 29, 1973) was appointed General Manager of the Boston Red Sox in 2002. At 28, he became the youngest GM in the history of the Major Leagues.
Epstein is a graduate of Yale University, majoring in American Studies, and has a law degree from the University of San Diego. After his studies, he took a job in the PR department of the San Diego Padres, and rose in that organization to be Director of Baseball Operations.
When John Henry bought the Red Sox in 2002, he appointed Epstein's former boss at the Padres, Larry Lucchino, as President and CEO. At the end of the 2002 season, Lucchino appointed Epstein to replace temporary GM Mike Port.

Epstein's grandfather Philip Epstein and great-uncle Julius Epstein won Academy Awards for the screenplay of Casablanca.

Now onto other things...
Today was one of those days when it seems that nothing you do or say is right. After giving my opinion to my employer in regards to a situation she asked me about, she shared what I told her to her attorney, who later called and accused me of giving legal advice. Oh please! I worked for an attorney for over four years, I know better. I was asked a question, I gave my OPINION. That's not the same. My thought on the matter was why did her attorney get so bent out of shape over it? Could I have been correct and he was caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar? Hmmmm

I got home tonight after picking up DJ from work, and my phone rang. When I went to answer it, it went dead. Apparently our battery was DEAD, I could not return the call (It was my friend Silver Fox) as my battery needed charging. Sometimes don't you just hate technology? He is going to Vegas tomorrow and I was hoping to wish him well, so Silver if you are reading this, have fun and good luck. I hope you can keep your little sister out of trouble while she is out there!

My "funk" (what I refer to my current mood) is still "funking". I don't get it. I should be delirously happy. I have a great husband, great kids, wonderful friends and a job that pays the bills, why am I so UGH lately. Maybe it's time for some Prozac. Tomorrow night DJ's mom is having a Halloween Party. Maybe that will pick me up. I am either going as Elton John or Elvis. Or maybe I can take the suggestion of one of DJ's co-workers. DJ is going as a pumpkin, so they said I could rub orange gunk all over my face around my mouth area and go as a "PUMPKIN EATER" I thought that was good!! DJ's family probably would not appreciate my humor.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...