Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Altering Appearances

As a teenager growing up in the 70's (yes I'm THAT old) was painful. Add the frustration of being attracted to my male classmates and not knowing what to do about it, made matters even worse. Not to mention that I heard nicknames such as; pimple face, zit zombie, and my all time favorite pizza face, made it almost unbearable. I suffered from sebaceous acne which at times was quite painful and most disfiguring. My mother tried everything she could to alleviate me from the trauma by taking me to doctors to help my condition. In those days the actually inserted a tiny needle into the cyst, draining it of it's contents and then sat me under a sun lamp. Needless to say, today I have severe scaring and a couple of spots that have been removed as they were cancerous. (Thanks Dr.)

I learnt to live with the cysts and in time they stopped popping up on my face, back, arms and even my legs. Today as you can imagine I have severe acne scars from those little monsters (not to mention from those needles the quack doctor used). I have contemplated several times to undergo cosmetic surgery to diminish the appearance of the scars but have backed out from doing so. Recently Veruca told me about a procedure that a friend of his underwent for a birthmark on his face, called Dermabrasion. I am really thinking about looking into this and seeing if I can find a qualified doctor to do this procedure. But then I think, Am I just being vain? Why worry about this now at almost 45? I've had these scars for over half my life. DJ doesn't seem to mind and has never mentioned them, so what's the big deal? And if I do this why not go ahead and get a nose job too? Maybe some cheekbone implants, a couple botox injections, and while I'm at it I may as well have the hair that insists on growing out of my ears permanently removed. No, I'm not against cosmetic surgery. I think everyone needs to do what they need to do to feel good about who they are, and sad but true our appearance has a lot to do with that. But how much is too much? Maybe I should just do the face thing, and stop. Or maybe just forget about it, I mean it's all going to turn to dust someday anyway, right?

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...