Thursday, November 25, 2004

Giving Thanks

Some days it seems all we ("we" being me) do is sit around and feel sorry for ourselves and think about how bad we have things. Today is the day that we seem to do the opposite. It's 5 am here and I am unable to sleep, so I caught up reading all the blogs I have listed on my favorites. It had been quite a few days since I read them. After reading my blogs (I call all of you my blogs as I try to read you daily and they become personal to me) I am even more thankful for what I do have, and the blessings that I have been given. Particularly in light of the recent events of one blogger I started reading about four months ago, HOLDING THE MAN.

"Sebastian", who writes Holding the Man blog lives in Darwin in the far north of Australia and has had trouble on and off with some anti-gays who've been harrasing him. He was purposely run down by a car and is in very serious condition in the hospital, originally in a coma that he fortunately seems to becoming out of after two days. There's a lot of lower body damage in terms of broken bones. He also has had some severe kidney damage as well. The police are on the case and making progress, having located the stolen car used in this heinous crime. Please keep Sebastian in your prayers and thoughts. You can send e-mails via his blog.

Then I understand that 20/20 had a special show last night with the convicted killers of Matthew Shepard, trying to convince the American public that it was not a gay hate crime! Okay whatever, they had their day in court and their story was disproven then. What is the purpose of airing this now? A) With the Bush Administration being so anti-gay they assume this would benefit them in some way? B) Very possibly this could also benefit them in their current prison position? Who knows why? But I do know that they have clearly broken the law again,as part of their sentence was that they were not to be allowed to "cash in" on their crime. I am sure that they or their attorneys we well paid for this disgusting interview. And when did the American public start accepting interviewing convicted killers as newsworthy? Before we know it these guys along with Scott Peterson will be having talk shows!! THEY ARE KILLERS for goodness sake! Why are they treated like celebrities and paraded across our TV screens in interviews giving their stories???!

In light of all of this I am so thankful that I am currently safe and live in a neighborhood (where as far as I know) my sexuality is not a threat to anyone to the point that they need to retaliate. I am also thankful for some of the advances that our community continues to make that support our equality, as small as it may seem at times. I am also thankful that both DJ and I have families that love us and support us and our realtionship, even if it sometimes is also in very small steps.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...