Thursday, November 18, 2004

Brothers Night Out

Well tonight was the night. The night that I had actually been dreading. RWR (Right Wing Redneck) Brother and GD, my other brother had dinner together tonight. It's sort of like therapy I suppose for RWR. He feels that if he gets to know me a little better he can begin to heal whatever it is in his head that keeps him so angry about the fact that there are gay people in the world, one of which happens to be his brother. Me.

What I thought would be conversation about me (You know I always think it's about me) and who I am; was nothing like I thought. We discussed being teenagers and the antics that we did. Well actually what they did. I was not a wild child, I was the "golden child" I was always the good kid. After listening to them tell some of the things that they did, my antics are very pale. Actually they are so pale they can not be seen at all. Dinner conversation about the wild things they did. I was shocked by some of the things that I heard there tonight. I knew my brothers were a little wild, but it's a wonder they survived into adulthood.

What I really don't understand is how any of this will change the way my brother sees me, or how he perceives the gay community for that matter. I really think he just wants to be able to bond with me some how and for some reason, and maybe this is his way. But regardless of how it works, I just hope it works. I love my brother, I just do not like the person he has grown into, but then I guess he says the same thing about me. Maybe this will begin to remove that wedge that has built up between us. I know that we are not getting any younger, and I know my parents hate that there is all this anomosity between us, so let's hope this will bring us back together. Not that my brother and I were ever really close, we came from the same parents but from two totally different worlds. But at least we may be able to stay in the same room with each other for more than 20 minutes. Hell we had dinner together tonight and sat at the same table right next to each other for over an hour and 20 minutes. I'd say it's a good start. What do you think?

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...