Sunday, November 04, 2007

Just a Few Days Away

The holidays are right around the corner. Of course my friend Silver is already listening to "Sounds of the Season", as it plays through his house via digital cable. The stores have already taken down all the Halloween things and replaced them with Santa Claus', reindeer, angels, Christmas trees and Christmas decorations.




You see a few Thanksgiving decorations, but nothing like you used to when I was a kid. Remember those pictures of the Pilgrims? Did those men really wear those hats with the belt buckles on them?? Haven't saw too many of those around.




Do you remember making the turkey with your hand print? You would lay your hand down on a piece of paper and trace around it. Then you would add color to the fingers as the feathers, and then add eyes onto the thumb. And don't forget the "gobbler". Thanksgiving has kind of faded away between Halloween and Christmas. Such a shame.


This year or tradition is changing. For years we have went to my parents for Thanksgiving, ready for mom's great cooking. She would work all day on the dinner and then settle down with her boys and their families for the meal. This year my brother and his wife will have the Thanksgiving dinner at their home. This is the first time in 47 years I have not been at my mother's for Thanksgiving. I understand the reasoning. Mom is just not able to do all that work like she used to, and her home is just not big enough for all of us now. But still it is kind of sad to think that the Holidays will be shared not in my childhood home. Christmas is going to be held at my younger brother and his wife's home this year. So neither of the Holidays will be the same.

But, they festivities are just a few days away. I need to let go of the nostalgia and just be happy that all my family are still here to share the holidays.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...