Sunday, February 10, 2013

Not A Baby Any Longer

My son's birthday is today. My youngest child of four. My baby is no longer a baby. He turned 20 today. A big turning point as far as age goes. No longer a teenager, but not a "real" adult yet. It wasn't too long ago we didn't know if he would see 20. Now four and a half years later the Hodgkins has been in remission for over three years, and the longer it remains there the less chance it has of rearing it's ugly head again.

I am proud and thankful for all my children, and I don't have a favorite child. Each one has a special place in my heart and with each one, our relationship is different. Adam has a special place, because he is the baby. Kind of like the last part of my own youth.  He ws born at a time in my life where I was moving from one chapter of my life to another. I divorced his mother when he was three and came out shortly thereafter. Now again, his turning twenty marks a turning point for both of us. Him from a teenager into adulthood, and me as a single gay man, living by myself for the first time in my life.  We both are going to experience things we've not experienced before and we both will have struggles as we make our path on our new journey. Regardless of what lies ahead for either of us, I know and he knows that we have each other. I'm Dad and I will be there for him whenever he needs me, and he is my baby and as always brings joy to my heart, and if I need him all I need to do is let him know and he will be here. But, regardless of what he says, he will ALWAYS be my baby.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...