Thursday, June 05, 2008

Graduation


My niece graduates today. Really hard to believe that she could be old enough to graduate High School and will be starting college in the fall.

Time has come and gone it seems. You realize it when events happen in the lives of you family. As I was pondering my niece's big day I realized something else. She is graduating 30 years from my high school graduation, to the day! Talk about life getting away from you!

Yes, 30 years ago today I was starting my life as an adult and entering a whole new world. I decided while thinking about this to find my Senior Memories Book...and boy what a story it tells!

Think back with me, those of you that can...to 1978. According to my memory book these were the prices of some things in '78;

A Gallon of Milk : $1.29 / Loaf of Bread .79 cents / Prom Tickets: $45 a couple / Dozen Eggs: .87 cents / A newly built home: $65,500.00 and the most amazing...a gallon of gas: .63 cents for regular and .72 cents for unleaded!

I also wrote the answers to these questions: Where do you hope to be in five years, ten years, 20 years (It went no further than that, I guess at 18 30 years seemed way too long to think about) but my answers were as follows:

5 years: graduated from college and living on my own and possible married (in reality I dropped out of college, got married at 20, had my first child at 21 and the second was on the way by my 5th year reunion)

10 years: Married with children, working in my own business and hopefully successful (in reality I was married with two kids, I was laid off in September of 1988 and we were living north of Dayton, Ohio and I was working part-time in bakery making doughnuts...I'm not lying!)

20 years: Who knows! (Yeah that was my answer but 20 years after graduation I was divorced, had four kids and had came out of the closet and was living with my parents again, and working for a mortgage company, and then later that year started working for a Law firm in downtown Cincinnati)

Yes, it is amazing how time flies. Now 30 years after High School graduation, I am in a long lasting (almost 8 years) relationship with the most incredible man I've ever known, I have two grown adult children, two children in the last few years of High School, and three grand kids. A great job, and a great home. Yes, things are good. It took me 30 years, but I think I finally grew up!

So to all you High School graduates, I say congrats and remember... you may not get all that you hoped for or all that you wished for, but things always seem to work out for the best.

No comments:

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...