Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Birthdays & Friends

Tomorrow one of my best friends will turn another year older. I think he will be 43, not too sure on the whole age thing. I know he is not too much younger than myself. But anyway...Silver is having a birthday.

I got to thinking about birthdays and friends. Birthdays keep coming, they never go away, and that's a good thing because if they stop coming then you really have something to worry about, you may want to find Jennifer Love Hewitt. But friends on the other hand don't keep coming. Friends tend to slow down. As a kid I had a ton of friends. As a young adult I have several people that I would call my friend. As a minister for several years in the Baptist Church, I realized that most of my friends were my friends for ulterior reasons, mainly their reasons. Now that I am older I understand what my dad said to me when I was a teenager...

"Son, you can count on one hand your true friends. Everyone else are acquaintances"

He is so right. I actually have what I would say are three true friends. Of course DJ, Silver and Veruca. Everyone else has seemed to have faded into their own lives and dreams. Which is not a bad thing, but I miss them. I still have friends that I keep in contact with, but really true to life friends, that are there no matter what. I don't have many.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not getting all misty eyed and melancholy and feeling sorry for myself because I don't have a mess of friends, I'm just stating the obvious. Actually I'm probably too selfish and self centered to have too many friends, I wouldn't have time for them. But I am very grateful and thankful for the friends I do have. I know I need to act like it more often, but then again, they know me and they know how I am, that's why they are my friend.

Back to Silver...Happy Birthday friend. Thanks for being a true friend.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Of course, the fact that I'm blessed to be considered one of your true friends is priceless. Thanks for the wishes, my friend...and thank you for being my friend, too! :-)

Four Generations

 Spent a little bit of time yesterday with my youngest grandchild, Lizzie. She doesn't look very comfortable in this picture, but she wa...